Thursday, October 9, 2008

no pig, no pan, no problem

I just got back from the grocery store. After dragging six bags of ingredients into my house, I sat down to check in with my email. I get a lot of mom-spam. You know, lose ten pounds in ten minutes! and fifteen menus for a month's worth of dinners! and we have the answers to make you perfect at everything! Sometimes I open the ones about food.

I have this hope that somewhere, there really is a week's worth of menus with an attached grocery list that doesn't add up to a $300 tab in the check out. Really, for $300 worth of crappy junky cheesy food, I'll eat out every night and not have to do the dishes. I'm looking for the holy grail, here. $100 worth of groceries, 7 dinners, 7 lunches, 7 breakfasts, and 5 days worth of Spiderman lunchbox worthy snacks. Oh, and I don't want to eat pig. Or cow. Maybe chicken. No cheese.

I know. It's not happening. I'm going to have to do it myself.

Here's my first contribution. I hear there is a similar version floating around that has to do with "A Man, A Can, and A Plan." Cute name, but that's not what this is.

Here's lunch;

One can of extra crispy corn with peppers without the juice
(check the ethnic food section at Hy-Vee)
One can of black beans (drained and rinsed really really well)
One can of diced tomatoes
Two (or three or four) pickled jalepeno peppers (seeded and minced)
Two Tablespoons of sweet rice wine vinegar
One Tablespoon of cumin
One Tablespoon of chili powder
1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper if you want

Stir it up and open a bag of blue corn chips.

That'll be $5, please.
You'll be eating it tomorrow, too.

See? No pig, no pan, no problem.

2 comments:

  1. What you have described there is a little cowboy caviar. I make it with 2 cans black beans--rinsed, sometimes, one can of black-eyed peas (that is supposedly the caviar part) one can corn-- rinsed-- hot peppers, fresh cilantro, Mexican seasoning,any peppers I can find-- jalapeno, habanero, bell,sometimes I add avocado (yum) and sprinkle with a little white vinegar. Maybe I will have that for lunch today. Good idea.

    PS. I am going to take your challenge to the peeps at work and see if there is anyone interested in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray! no pig!
    :)
    I have a can of black-eyed peas.

    Can't wait for my new menus from the New Pi crowd!

    ReplyDelete

be nice...