Thursday, January 22, 2009

Spanx is stalking me. Oh, and I have a good Kale recipe.

First, the Spanx. I love Spanx. I haven't ever actually worn them, but they crack me up. In fact, on New Year's Eve, in the midst of an impromptu gathering of people-who-don't-have-plans-and-can't-stay-up-till-midnight, a new kind of Spanx was invented. Arm Spanx. Seriously. Some of us don't have rear-end problems. We have arm problems, instead. Or we are headed for arm problems because we are getting old. If you do have rear-end problems, chances are you don't have beautiful buff arms, so we figured there's a huge market for Arm Spanx. At the time, it sure seemed like a flash of brilliance.
The woman that invented Spanx is in the media a lot what with the flailing economy and the media searching for something to say. She cut the feet off of her panyhose to get the squeeze without the stocking feet. I looked her up. That was fun. Of course, if you google (oh, I love to google everything) Spanx, you'll get ebay listings for Spanx, and I love to read ebay listings. About one in one hundred is fall off the chair funny. I figured I'd certainly stumble upon a super funny Spanx listing. Not so much. But something odd started to happen. Apparently, when you open an ebay listing and you are signed into ebay as you, the genius marketing forces note the subject matter and when one of those items is listed, they send you an email. I get six emails a day alerting me that someone has listed Spanx on ebay. It was funny at first.

Here's the Kale recipe. It's unrelated to the previous topic, but I've been handing it out and last night I remembered that I hadn't posted it yet.

From the October 2008 issue of YOGA magazine.

Emerald Salad with Shiitakes and Red Onion
serves 4 to 6 (or 1-2 at our house)

1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
2 cups boiling water
1 large bunch kale, washed, stemmed, and sliced into 1/2 inch strips
2 cups thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushroom caps
1/4 cup toasted walnut oil (I used olive oil)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar

1. Place sliced onions in a small bowl with apple cider vinegar and boiling water. Let soak for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse and squeeze out excess moisture.
2. Place kale and shiitakes in a large bowl. Drizzle oil and sprinkle salt over vegetables. massage the mixture with your hands, kneading and squeezing until the kale turns deep green and wilts slightly. Set aside.
3. Add onions and raspberry vinegar to the kale-mushroom mix and toss. Adjust taste with oil and salt, and serve at room temperature.

The subject of 'what to do with Kale' has come up again and again in the circles of strangeness where I hang out, and I kind of have a love/hate relationship with CrackBook (facebook) so I started a new group. If you have a tried and true Kale recipe that calls for Kale in volume, please consider contributing it for the good of our little group of foodies.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=45687889646&ref=nf#/group.php?gid=45687889646&ref=mf
"I don't know what the hell to do with all this Kale."