Friday, June 26, 2009

Beer Broccoli Cheddar Soup

So I have all of this broccoli and cauliflower and Budweiser and Ranch dressing and cheddar cheese left from our big event last weekend. I invented a soup. I ate it for lunch and froze the rest. If there's any left in November, it'll be a welcome fall warm-up.

Beer Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Over medium heat, in a large sauce pan, cook 1 large white onion (diced), 5 cloves of garlic (diced), 1 cup of carrots (diced), 1/2 cup celery (diced.) Stir every few minutes for 15 minutes.

While that is cooking, make a small roux (6t salted butter + 6T flour, whisked together over medium-high heat until it turns the color of caramel.)

Add 1 12 ounce can of a dark beer to the vegetables and stir. Let simmer for about 5 minutes.

Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock, 4 cups of water and bring mixture to a boil. Add the roux one spoon at a time (if you pour it in, it kind of explodes; I proved this theory today.)

Add 8 cups of finely chopped broccoli or a mixture of broccoli and cauliflower and stir in a cup of Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk Dressing. Stir for a few minutes until the broccoli turns bright green.

Add 4 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and stir for a few more minutes. Let mixture cool a bit and blend with a hand mixer or pour 2-3 cups at a time into the blender. Re-heat the soup and add salt and pepper to taste.

This makes a lot. Use big pots.

Oh, and buy your broccoli at the farmers market. It makes the soup taste better.

Happy Eating!

3 comments:

  1. What about the chicken movie!? Did ya go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed. I cried. I'm so ready to have three chickens added to the farm. Highlander is not on board, too. He said he thought I was crazy to want chickens (what???) but now that he's seen the movie, he's all about it. The film is well done, entertaining, informative, lovely, and I want to own it so I can make other people want chickens. You could have chickens.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nevermind. I meant Highlander IS on board. I got interrupted by a short person with her head stuck in the arm hole of her shirt.

    ReplyDelete

be nice...