Sunday, July 5, 2009

What's growing on July 5

July 5th vegetable progress:
Sweet bell peppers. We'll leave them on the vine until they start to turn red.

Striped German tomato. They are a favorite around here. Makes an impressive BLT.
This is my first try at red cabbage. I have a friend who just invented Buffalo Cole Slaw. It's not for the faint of heart. I think a nice fat head of happy local cabbage will make it even more irresistible.



This is also my first try at broccoli. The bunnies keep crashing my party in this particular garden, so a few of the plants are missing whole leaves. The problem is that the baby bunnies are super cute. I just re-read Watership Down this past winter and I'm still a bit convinced that the rabbits in my yard have an entire society.



This is one of the Brussels sprout plants. These are my favorite. Now that we've got tomatoes figured out, Brussels sprouts may be the next big project. I have six plants this year. If all goes well, there will be a new garden in the spring waiting for 36 little Brussels sprout plants.



It's been a crazy weekend. We've been to parties and lunches and the little girls ran in a big race. We're headed out the door in a few minutes to another party. But I had to run out and see what's growing. Soon....we'll be eating out of the back yard. Hooray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice...