Wednesday, September 9, 2009

60 tiny pears

Last night, the girls and I walked over to their Aunt Sarah's house to get a few pears. We came home with 60. They were the size of golf balls, but not quite ripe. Peeling them didn't seem like an option and most of the nutrients in fruit is in the skin, anyway. I looked around on the internet for ideas, but couldn't find anything about how to make food out of 60 tiny sweet pears. I think what I ended up with is quite lovely.

Pear Ginger Butter

60 tiny sweet (not quite ripe) pears
4-5 cardamon seeds
1 tsp celery seeds
5 cloves
4-5 inches fresh ginger
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Cut all of the pears in half and put them in a large pot. Cover with water and add the ginger, cardamon, cloves, and celery seeds. Boil for about an hour.
Remove the pears and ginger with a slotted spoon and let them cool completely.
Remove the stems, woody ends, and seeds with a grapefruit spoon.
Blend in small batches until the mixture is as smooth as butter. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.

I have enough for a winter's worth of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I guess that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice...