Monday, October 19, 2009

I miss the gluten.


Just in case you really do come here for the food, here's the new thing I eat a lot of. It's pretty easy. It's also quite yummy and it helps me not think about bread.

Taco Rice (but not the salty kind from a bag)
This recipe makes as much as you want to make. So far, it's a hit with the kids, too. I like the Mexican Rice that you just buy in the bag and then dump in boiling water, but Highlander complains that it's overwhelmingly salty. He has a point. This isn't salty. It is cheap.

Line up a bunch of 2 cup Ziplock containers on your counter.
Put this in each one:
1 cup white rice (not instant)
2 teaspoons chili powder (the normal cheap american kind)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
a little less than 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or more if you like it spicy

Now put the lids on and label with these directions:
Heat 1 teaspoon cooking oil over medium heat and add the dry rice mix. Stir frequently until rice starts to sizzle. Add one full container of water (your containers should hold 2 cups) and 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce. Put a lid on the pot and simmer 20-25 minutes.

I have a stack of these in my pantry. Well, I had a stack of them in my pantry. Until I started eating it every single day.

I do miss bread.

Photo shamelessly lifted from www.simply-glutenfree.blogspot.com
Their recipe is also better than mine, but it's not quick. We're going for quick, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice...