Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Naan

I love the naan. I made it last night and tried to modify it to be gluten free. Highlander said it was good. But he loves me and wants me to feel well, so I suspect he was exaggerating. It was good enough to keep messing with until I get it right.

Here's where we started:
2 cups gluten free flour (Bob's Red Mill)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
4 tablespoons lukewarm milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 egg

1. mix yeast and milk and let it sit for 15 minutes
2. sift flour, xanthan gum and salt together in a large bowl
3. add yeast and milk mixture, vegetable oil, yogurt, and egg to the flour. mix until a soft dough forms. add lukewarm water to moisten if necessary
4. knead for 10 minutes (that's a really long time. my arms got sore)
5. let the dough rise for about an hour and preheat the oven to 475 degrees, or hotter if you have an oven that will do that.
6. knead for 2 more minutes
7. divide into four pieces and shape into thin teardrop shapes that are about 1/4 inch thick
8. bake the teardrops in a 475 degree+ oven for 3-4 minutes on a preheated baking stone one at a time

I think my oven should have been hotter, but it's acting up lately. Next time, I'll try adding another tablespoon of yeast. It needed more salt, too. I need to do some research on gluten free dough and how to get it to rise. Maybe it's always just going to be heavier. Oh well. It was my first taste of bread in many days and I'm sure I was suffering from a little "Oh How I've Missed You!" syndrome. It'll wear off and I'll get this down. Then...on to bagels!

Also, I made a yellow lentil dish that is really flavorful. We ate it over cardamom flavored basmati rice and the kids actually didn't freak out. They ate it slowly. Tori said it wasn't good, but she didn't mind it. Zoe had a fit on principle. I explained to them that this is the macaroni and cheese of India, and they expressed pity for Indian children. Let's call that progress. We'll try again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice...