Friday, October 16, 2009

breaking up with bread

OK, so I haven't been writing. At all. Not even in those dozen or so blank books I have stashed away that my sister SWORE she'd swiftly and secretly remove from my home and destroy in the event of my untimely death. Because I've been feeling like crap, that's why. C.R.A.P. I won't give you a long drawn out explanation of my symptoms because that would be boring, and because I'm not 94 years old. I will say that at one point, my lovely (bland obese) doctor told me it sure sounds like Lupus.

I KNOW!

Freaked me out, too.

Whatever. She came up with Very Low Iron and Pernicious Anemia. It's not Lupus, or arthritis, or any of the Hepatitis's. Oh Joy.

So I chugged some greenish red foul smelling supplements for a few months and slowly started to feel....better. But not all the way better. I still have "dumb" days and "sore" days and "what the hell did I eat????" days.

So then I started to shun the cow. (I am prepared to be sued by Big Dairy for this.) The Dairy makes me really sick. Always has. But I get all cheesy-needy and conveniently "forget" and then I pay. So buh-bye to the Cow!

And then it occurred to me that maybe it's not just a dairy-thing and an iron thing. Could it be (oh please don't let it be) a gluten thing? Please. Not the bread.

I've been kind of half way avoiding high gluten foods. I have to admit that I feel better when I eat several meals in a row that don't contain gluten. I'm less sore. Less sad. Less foggy. And my hair looks better. You think I'm kidding. I'm not kidding.

I've read a few books and although I don't recommend it to others, I googled Celiac Disease. Seriously. It'll give you nightmares. But so does a life without bread. It's a wash in my reality.

I found a blog written by a woman who is a cook (like me hooray!) and she's gone gluten-free. Here it is: http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/
She's much nicer than I am, but I like her anyway. I am going to go buy 17 different weird ingredients that I've never heard of and try to make her English muffins. And then I'm going to give this bread a shot. I'll report back. And I'll probably be feeling more lively than I have been for oh, say, the last ten years or so.

Gluten-Free Flax Bread Recipe
http://www.recipezaar.com/Gluten-Free-Flax-Bread-190906
My own recipe, comes out fluffy and nice and need not be frozen.
by Laurie150
2¾ hours 2 hours prep
SERVES 12 -18 , 1 loaf
1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour
1/4 cup garfava flour<
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup flax seed meal
2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 cup water or milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vinegar
Combine flours, flax, starches, gum, yeast, salt.
In the mixer, combine wet ingredients, then add the dry.
Scrape the sides, and mix on medium for 4-5 minutes.
Pour into 9x5 pan, and let rise to top of pan (took about 80 minutes). I always, always let it rise in a turned off oven.
Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes.
Remove from pan, cool, and slice.
*use egg replacer of choice to create a vegan loaf, as well as an alternative sweetener for the honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice...