Monday, June 28, 2010

Kid Approved: Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese




Totally one-dish supper worthy.
In a heavy bottomed pan, stir together 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour Mix. Keep stirring over low heat until the mixture starts turning a bit brown.
Add one medium sized diced yellow onion and one large diced garlic clove. If the mixture seems really thick, add another tablespoon of butter and stir. Cook over low heat for five minutes.

Stir in two cups of grated zucchini and one cup of diced ham. Add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of table salt and 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder. Stir to combine. Sprinkle in 1 cup finely shredded colby jack/cheddar cheese and stir gently until it melts in and becomes smooth. I used the prepackaged stuff labeled "Mexican."

Cook one package of Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta according to the package directions. Drain and gently fold into vegetable mixture. Let the mixture sit with a lid on it for five minutes or so. Stir and serve.

I even took a picture of what it looks like right before you put the pasta in.

The other picture is of the reason I didn't take a picture of the finished product.
Actually, it really isn't the dog's fault. Just as I was about to finish my dish, photograph it, and share it with the world, there was a knock at my front door.
It was a police officer.
At that moment in time, I had supper on the stove, a teenager in Missouri raising hell, parents on the road, and a husband who was about a half hour later getting home than he usually is. Also, my cell phone died at about 4:00. To say that my stomach dropped when I opened the door and saw a cop would be a vast understatement.
My people are all fine. The police officer and I had a long conversation about a neighbor that allegedly lives a few doors down who was complaining about my dog barking. (My dog who had been outside for less than twenty minutes.) Apparently, this guy is a whiny little high maintenance cry baby and he calls the cops for everything. So, the police officer met our animal family members and I gave him my phone number and sent an invitation back to call me any time. This morning, our next door neighbor's dog started barking at 7:15 am. I wonder if the police will be stopping by later....I hope they offer to take him to jail for disturbing the peace, too. He's a lawyer for the county.
Last night when Tori and I were out back regarding the garden, she asked me about the incident and I explained it like this; Ya know when there's a kid on the playground who tattles all the time? The teacher tells him to go talk to the person he has a problem with, right? OK, well, some kids don't learn how to do that and they grow up to be big giant tattle tales. That's what this guy is. He's a big giant tattle tale. When you grow up, you don't have a teacher anymore, so some big giant tattle tales use the police. Sometimes the police don't want to tell the tattle tale to talk to the person they have a problem with. So that's what I did. I told the officer to ask the cry baby to call me.
Do you know how I know that there is a God? Because I could see the dude through the trees of the yard the separates us while I was explaining all of this to Tori in my Big Mommy Voice. Beautiful.
I'm walking my dogs by the cry baby's house twice a day now. I can't wait to catch the dude outside so I can introduce myself and invite him over for drinks. This tactic (make friends with people who try to make your life difficult) is a new way to spell crazy. It amuses me to no end.
So, sorry you don't get a photo of this righteous Mac & Cheese. If you use a white zucchini, your kids won't know it's in there.
Peace--

2 comments:

  1. Do you ever feel like you deal with the men in black more often than the average person??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine how paranoid I'd be if I was a pot smoker??
    I think I deal with MIB more than the average non-criminal. It would be one thing if I EVER BROKE A RULE. But I'm a Rule Follower Damnit! Everything I learned in second grade about the world has proven false.

    ReplyDelete

be nice...