Friday, July 1, 2011

Iron Rich Black Eyed Peas

I'm gettin' winded going up and down the stairs again, which means it's time to add some Iron. It's a HUNDRED degrees out today, so heavy cooking is not on my to-do list.

Here's what's in my crock-pot now:

1 lb dried black eyed peas
2 cups homemade chicken broth
4 cups water
1 can diced tomatoes with chilis
2 tablespoons ground cumin
5 tablespoons sorghum
1 small white onion, diced
1 tablespoon chopped dried garlic or 3 tablespoons fresh

Both the black eyed peas and the sorghum are high in iron, so this should give me a boost. It's grill night (again...no cooking) and a side of potato chips with my brat just didn't sound nearly as good as a plate full of gooey lucky sweet and spicy black eyed peas. Happy!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. this was totally gross. Don't make it. Grandma M would have said it was "a waste of a lot of good groceries."

    ReplyDelete

be nice...