Thursday, September 8, 2011

Potato Pancakes

I struggle with leftovers. If I don't plan for them, the family sucks up every scrap of food on the table and then complains that there's nothing in the fridge for lunch the next day. If I fill the fridge with leftovers, everybody wants to eat out. So to solve this problem, I employ my new favorite tactic. Apathy.  

You get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

In this case, you get potato pancakes made with an abundance of eggs from happy chickens, and leftover smashed garlic potatoes. If you don't want to eat it, I'll feed it to Max. He loves me. And my cooking.

2 cups leftover smashed garlic potatoes or mashed potatoes or hash or something from last night that had potatoes in it
3-4 eggs from happy chickens
1 cup of shredded cheese, preferably cheddar but whatever


Mix together with a fork until well combined.
Heat a big cast iron skillet over medium heat until you can warm your hands over it. Add a pat of real salted butter and about a teaspoon of oil. Swirl around until the surface of the pan is covered.
Drop the potato pancake batter in with a big spoon. It will be lumpy. We don't care.

Turn the heat down and walk away for a few minutes. Read the paper, find a good Eminem song on your MP3 player, feed the dog. I'm sure you can find something to do.

Flip the lumpy eggy pancakes over with a spatula, wait a couple of minutes to make sure they are cooked through and serve with ketchup. At least one of your family members will eat this and appreciate it. But it doesn't really matter, because no one is keeping track.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice...